Newton Downtown Historic District

The Newton Downtown Historic District (outlined in blue on the map below) consists of 85 properties (some of which contain more than one storefront). It was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places in September 2014. The National Register is the federal list of districts, sites, buildings, & structures significant in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture. National Register districts are shown to be important in the history and/or development of their community. Properties contributing to the significance of an historic district are at least 50 years old and retain a high degree of historic integrity.

Newton Main Street Walking Tour

The buildings marked on the map are individually eligible for the National Register due to architectural or historic significance. (Please note that the historic building names are being used in the descriptions below.)

Building Descriptions
1. Jasper County Courthouse
 101 1st St N
 Beaux Arts – 1911
2. Hotel Maytag
 105 N 2nd Ave E/114 – 124 1st St N
 Chicago Commercial – 1926
3. Allfree Building
 103 – 110 1st Ave E/100 – 108 1st St N
 Early 20th C. Commercial – 1917 – 1918
4. Joy Dental
 112 1st Ave E
 Italianate – 1902
5. First Presbyterian Church
220 N 2nd Ave E
Tudor Revival – 1924
6. First Methodist Episcopal Church
210 N 2nd Ave E
Classical Revival – 1915
7. Ramer Block
102 N 2nd Ave E
Commercial Italianate – 1896
8. First Newton National Bank
100 N 2nd Ave W
Neo-Classical Revival – 1920
9. Scarf Building
112 N 2nd Ave W
Commercial Italianate – 1892
10. Salvation Army Citadel
219 N 2nd Ave W
Neo-Classical Revival – 1928
11. Mann’s Wagon Shop & White Way Cafe
210 1st Ave W/212 – 214 1st Ave W
Commercial – 1866
Remodeled Commercial – 1883
12. Jasper County Public Service Complex
115 W 2nd St S
20th C. Revival – 1911 & 1915