The Special Events Policy & Application were established by City Council in 2022. The goals for the policy and application include:
- Provide a safe environment for attendees and organizers of large events.
- Limit the impact to transportation in the community.
- Keep residents informed of events affecting their area.
Special events are encouraged in Newton for two reasons: 1) they are community building in nature, and 2) they showcase the Newton community to visitors. This special event policy applies to all events where attendance is expected to be in excess of two-hundred (200) people including attendees and staffing. The purpose of the policy is to ensure that these special events are safe, well-organized, and provide residents and visitors with a positive impression of the Newton community.
- Events contained completely on private property for businesses designated for entertainment.
- Events contained completely on private property for religious organizations or events.
- Events contained completely within a park in the City of Newton. Discussion regarding the size of the event in a park should be completed with the Community Services Department of the City of Newton.
- Events at large recreational and amusement facilities/parks, sports arenas, fields, and complexes where a street closure or traffic management plan is necessitated, and/or events at said facilities with an incident action and emergency operations plan for the individual event approved by the City of Newton Public Safety Departments.
2. APPLICATION DEADLINES: It is recommended applicants submit their application a minimum of ninety (90) days in advance of any requested special event to ensure adequate time for review and to clarify any questions which may result in denial.
3. Events with an entry fee: Special events that charge a fee for entry must be reviewed and/or approved by City Council, not City staff. Event organizers who wish to hold a special event that requires an entry fee should complete the Special Events Application and provide a written explanation as to why they are charging a fee, which explains how their events will build up the community and showcase Newton to visitors. That written explanation should be directed to the City Council, who may approve or deny such a request. The application and the written explanation should be provided to the Fire Chief at least ninety (90) days in advance of the planned event so that a resolution may be placed on an upcoming City Council Agenda. No special event that requires a fee for entry shall proceed without approval of the City Council.
4. Events without an entry fee: Applications for special events without entry fees shall be submitted at least sixty (60) days prior to the date requested for the special event. Special events that are submitted less than sixty (60) days prior to the date requested must be reviewed and/or approved by City Council, not City staff. A completed Special Events Application should be provided to the Fire Chief in order to place a resolution on an upcoming City Council Agenda. No special event having an application submitted less than sixty (60) days prior to the date requested for the special event shall proceed without approval of the City