- Public Works
- Newton Sanitary Landfill
- Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste Disposal
Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste Disposal
Through contracted services, the City provides weekly curbside collection of trash, recyclables and yard wastes.
Residential curbside trash collection is provided to all single-family, duplex, three-unit and four-unit residential units, as long as the dwelling does not receive trash collection from a dumpster or other common collection container.
Trash collection of one 35-gallon (up to 65 lbs.) container occurs each week between 5 a.m. and 4 p.m. Place garbage at the curb after 1 p.m. the day before collection day. A trash tag must be purchased for all trash in excess of 35 gallons per week. The City of Newton recycling and trash collection fee is included in your water bill. Collection fee includes the collection of one 35-gallon (up to 65 lbs.) container of trash and recycling bin(s) for each residential household each week.
If your trash container is larger than 35 gallons, only the equivalent of 35 gallons (65 pounds) will be picked up. A tag must be purchased for all trash in excess of 35 gallons per week.
- Tags can be purchased in quantities of five (5) at the local Fareway, Hy-Vee and Farver True Value for $10 plus sales tax ($2 per tag).
- Tags must be attached to a trash bag and placed at the curb or placed inside a trash container so that the tag is visible. Since a tag is used only once, it should not be attached to the trash container or lid.
If multiple recycling containers are needed, residents may use their own totes or bins. Please use bins that are of a size that can be easily handled by the collection people. Please label the bin "Recycling" and include your address on the bin.
For more details about what items can be collected, please refer to the Resident Trash & Recycling Collection Quick Reference Guide.
24/7 Free Self Service
The Newton Sanitary Landfill has a free self service recycling area. Accepted items are the same as the curbside collection. For more details, please refer to the Resident Trash & Recycling Collection Quick Reference Guide.
Yard Waste Disposal
Leaves, small twigs (less than 1/4" in diameter), yard waste, weeds, and hedge trimmings are picked up at the curb at no charge, if in City of Newton Leaf Bags and placed at the curb by 6 a.m. on your normal trash collection day.
- City of Newton Leaf Bags will be collected weekly from March 25 through December 7.
- Leaf bags can be purchased in quantities of ten (10) at the local Fareway, Hy-Vee, Farver True Value and Theisen's for $10 ($1 each) plus tax.
- Grass clippings may NOT be put in the City of Newton Leaf Bags and will NOT be picked up as part of weekly trash collection.
- For information, please view the Yard Waste Disposal Alternatives document.
24/7 Free Self Service
The Newton Sanitary Landfill has a free self service yard waste disposal area. Yard waste can be dumped 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Residents may dispose of leaves, small twigs less and ¼” in diameter, hedge trimmings, garden waste and weeds at the Newton Sanitary Landfill in any container year-round free of charge. Residents must empty their own containers. All loads must be secured.
Below is a video that walks you through the yard waste and brush disposal processes at the Newton Sanitary Landfill.