Limited Usage of Consumer Fireworks Allowed in Newton
Citizens within Newton city limits may discharge fireworks on:
- July 4 from 8 P.M. to 11 P.M.
Other requirements for firework use in city limits include:
- Fireworks can be no greater than one inch in diameter or exceed a total of 250 grams of powder for cake fireworks
- A person must be 18 years or older to purchase consumer fireworks
- No person under the age of 18 is allowed to discharge a DOT 1.4 class consumer firework without parental supervision.
- A person can only discharge a consumer firework on real property they own or on the property where consent has been given.
- Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged by anyone showing visible signs of, or determined to be, intoxicated or under the influence of a drug or narcotic.
- Any person discharging a consumer fireworks device assumes all responsibility for its operation and the consequences thereof.
- No person shall discharge a consumer fireworks device in a reckless manner or manner likely to cause death, injury, fire, or property damage.
- Fireworks may not be altered, removed or discharged from its intended method.
- Sky lantern open flame devices are not permitted to be released within the city limits, except if tethered by a retrievable rope so long as the person discharging has control over the sky lantern.
You are liable for all fireworks in your possession and those discharged by you, your family and on your property. You may be subject to a civil penalty of up to $400 if found in violation of City Code.
A responsible party includes, but is not limited to:
- The person(s) who owns, rents, leases, or otherwise has possession of the residence or other private property;
- The person(s) in immediate control of the residence or other private property; and
- The person(s) who organizes, supervises, sponsors, conducts, allows, controls, or controls access to the illegal discharge or illegal storage of fireworks.
Consumer Fireworks Sales in City of Newton
Newton City Council voted in 2017 to limit the usage and sale of fireworks. Those interested in selling fireworks will need to start the permitting process with Planning & Zoning. They can be contacted at (641) 792-6622.
Consumer fireworks sales shall only be conducted in accordance with dates and times designated by Iowa Code Section 727.2.
Approved consumer fireworks sales meeting the requirements set forth by city code will be allowed from an approved permanent structure or building between June 1 and July 8 and from December 10 until January 3 or from an approved temporary structure between June 13 and July 8.
All consumer fireworks sales will need to conform to all applicable Building, Site Plan and Zoning Ordinances of the City of Newton.