- Firefighter Recruitment
Welcome to the City of Newton Firefighter recruitment webpage!
We're hiring! The Newton Fire Department is currently accepting applications for firefighters/paramedics & EMTs to join our team. The NFD prides itself on the family that we build, the professional growth of our personnel and the partnership we have with the City we serve. The men and women who make up our department are committed to providing the community of Newton the highest level of service they can. The Newton Fire Department needs candidates who are open to the variety of work that the department deals with every day. We’re seeking diversity – both in terms of gender, race and ethnicity as well as in qualifications and experience. We want candidates who are well-rounded, possess a strong work ethic, have high moral character, are resolute in their honesty and integrity, have the ability to multi-task and have a sincere desire to serve the residents of Newton and make a difference in the community we call home.
This page contains detailed information and important resources regarding our current recruitment and hiring process for the position of Firefighter for persons interested in a career with the City of Newton Fire Department.
Full Time Firefighter/Paramedic
The Newton Fire Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Full Time Firefighter/EMT or Paramedic.
- Requirement to apply: Iowa EMT Certification or Nationally Registered EMT (minimum). Firefighter I and Paramedic preferred.
- Rate of pay: $50,091 - $63,364 DOQ
- Deadline to apply: April 3, 2023
Position is subject to 24-hour shift assignment, working weekends and holidays, but may be assigned to 8-hour shift, 40-hour week assignment.
Important Dates for the Spring 2023 Hiring & Testing for Full Time Positions
- April 3, 2023 - Application Due Date. Apply here. View the Spring 2023 Application Packet.
- April 4, 5 & 6, 2023 - Physical Ability Testing. Takes place at Tri-City Fire and Safety Training (FAST) Tower (Urbandale Station 42; 3927 121st St.; Urbandale, IA 50323)
- April 7, 2023 - Written Evaluation Due Date. Complete through DMACC Ankeny Campus. Sign up for the testing.
- April 18 (or April 19), 2023 - Oral Interviews. Take place at the Newton Fire Station (Must have passed Physical Ability Testing, Written Test and Rank in Top 20)
Questions? Email the Newton Fire Department or call 641-792-3347
Fire Prevention Specialist
The City of Newton is currently accepting applications for the position of Fire Prevention Specialist. This position directs the fire prevention and code enforcement programs, fire cause and arson prosecution efforts, and public education programs of the Fire Department.
- Rate of pay: $70,186 - $83,559 DOQ
- Deadline to apply: 4:30 P.M. on April 5, 2023
Requirement to apply: Minimum of five (5) years fire related experience including fire investigation, inspection, and community risk reduction experience. Fire Investigator certification preferred. Iowa EMT Certification or Nationally Registered EMT (minimum). Paramedic preferred. The department will require Haz Mat Technician level certification within two years of appointment. Candidates must live within the State of Iowa. Residency within the City of Newton or within eight (8) miles preferred. The hiring process may include, but is not limited to, a written exam, physical ability test, an oral interview and a background investigation.
Apply for the position online or view the application packet.
Important Dates for the Fire Prevention Specialist Position
- April 5, 2023 - Application deadline.
- April 12, 2023 - Department panel interview.
- April 20, 2023 - Chief & administrative staff interview.