Officials from Jasper County Emergency Operations Center and the City of Newton want to share five things you need to know right now:
1) Stay home and off the roads! Do not drive around and sight see – there is damage throughout the community and in the county. Leave the roadways open so law enforcement and emergency services can respond to calls quickly and safely.
2) At this time, the power companies in Jasper County are saying it could be 24 – 48 hours before power is restored. (This may be extended based on the damage assessments). Do not go near downed power lines! Crews are on their way to our communities and are beginning to work with city crews to safely begin the process of restoring power.
3) The City of Newton, surrounding communities and Jasper County officials are working on a debris management plan more information will be posted later tonight and tomorrow.
4) Check on your neighbors. See how you can help. This is the time to be a good neighbor and check on those who live near you. As people start cleaning up debris, please be CAREFUL – take all safety precautions to keep you and your neighbors safe.
5) Call 911 for any medical emergency.
We will be posting information on the City’s website here: https://www.newtongov.org/auguststormupdates