Notice from the Jasper County hereby given to the qualified electors of Jasper County, State of Iowa, that the Combined City & School election will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021. All Jasper County residents will vote in Jasper County for all City and School Offices on the ballot. Click here to view the full notice from the Jasper County Auditor's office.
The precinct polling places in Newton have been temporarily combined. Below a list and addresses for this election shows where the four polling places in Newton are located:
- NT 1: Newton City Ward 1 Precincts NT 1-1 and NT 1-2: Jasper County Church of Christ, 1813 1st St. N., Newton, IA 50208
- NT 2: Newton City Ward 2 Precincts NT 2-1 and NT 2-2: St. Luke United Methodist Church, 501 E. 19th St. N., Newton, IA 50208
- NT 3: Newton City Ward 3 Precincts NT 3-1 and NT 3-2: Jasper County Community Center, 2401 1st Ave. W., Newton, IA 50208
- NT 4: Newton City Ward 4 Precincts NT 4-1 and NT 4-2: American Legion, 1101 W. 4th St. S., Newton, IA 50208
To learn what precinct/polling place is applicable to you the Secretary of State has provided this tool: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterreg/pollingplace/search.aspx
The Voter Pre-Registration Deadline for this Election is October 18, 2021 in the Auditor’s Office or by mail if postmarked on or before October 18, 2021. The deadline for registered voters to request an Absentee Ballot by mail is October 18, 2021. If an eligible elector is unable to register to vote on or before the registration deadline, Iowa Law permits Election Day Registration at their polling location with current proof of Identity AND Residence within the precinct.
All voters are required to provide an approved form of identification at the polling place before receiving and casting a ballot. Voters who are not pre-registered – such as voters registering to vote on election day – and voters who have changed precincts will also be required to provide proof of residence. A person who is eligible to register to vote, may register on election day and vote by appearing in person at the polling place for the precinct in which the individual resides. The voter must complete a voter registration application, sign a written oath, and provide acceptable proof of identity and acceptable proof of residence. Acceptable documents which can be used as proof of identity and proof of residence are very specific and substitutes will not be accepted. To see all forms of approved ID visit http://sos.iowa.gov/voterid.
Following is a list of races, candidates and public measure questions that will be on the several election ballots for voters who live within the City limits. Not all ballots will have all the listed races and candidates and public measure questions.
City of Newton
- Mayor: Vote for no more than one. Michael L. Hansen
- City Council Member At Large: Vote for no more than one. Evelyn George
- City Council Member Ward 2: Vote for no more than one. Melissa Dalton, Ethan Vaas
- City Council Member Ward 4: Vote for no more than one. No Candidate Filed
Newton Community School District
- Director Newton School District: Vote for no more than four. Elizabeth Hammerly, Cody Muhs, Raymond Whipple, Graham Sullivan, Jeff Holschuh, Travis Padget, Robyn Friedman, Matthew Holmes
- Public Measure LM-Revenue Purpose Statement Summary: To adopt a Revenue Purpose Statement specifying the use of revenues the Newton Community School District will receive from the State of Iowa Secure an Advanced Vision for Education Fund.