News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/25/2022 9:48:38 AM to 6/26/2022 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Newton Fire Department

Posted on: April 25, 2022

[ARCHIVED] Electrical Safety Tips

outlet

Flipping a light switch. Plugging in a coffeemaker. Charging a laptop computer. These are second nature for most of us. Electricity makes our lives easier. However, we need to be cautious and keep safety in mind.

SAFETY TIPS

  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
  • When you are buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements.
  • Only use one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
  • Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
  • Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) shut off electricity when a dangerous condition occurs. Consider having them installed in your home.
  • Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
  • Test AFCIs and GFCIs once a month according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. You do not need a flame to start a fire. Fires can start when heat builds up near things that burn. This can happen when a hot light bulb is near things that burn, such as cloth or paper, or a cord has been placed under a carpet.
  • Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
  • Use a light bulb with the right number of watts. There should be a sticker that indicates the right number of watts

Call a qualified electrician or your landlord if you have:

  • Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers 
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  • Discolored or warm wall outlets
  • A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
  • Flickering or dimming lights 
  • Sparks from an outlet

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Newton Fire Department

fire engine dedication

New Fire Engine Dedication

Posted on: July 5, 2022
IMG_5961

Summer Public Safety Youth Academy

Posted on: July 5, 2022

Safety in Places of Public Assembly

Posted on: June 21, 2022

Bicycle Safety

Posted on: May 10, 2022