The Newton Fire Department rescued four residents in response to a house fire in the 200 block of E 7th St S at approximately 11 p.m. on Thursday, March 30.
The resident called 911, stating that the house was full of smoke and that they were on the second floor. When the Newton Police Department arrived on the scene, there were no occupants of the home outside. As soon as the Newton Fire Department arrived, firefighters on the crew immediately rescued the caller and three children by ladder from the second floor.
Crews remained on the scene until approximately 12:45 a.m. to completely extinguish the fire. The home received significant smoke and minor water damage from the fire. The Newton Police Department, Kellogg Fire Department, and Baxter Fire Department assisted the Newton Fire Department. The fire appears to have been caused by an appliance on the main floor of the residence.