Distracted driving is one of the fastest growing safety issues on the roads today. Distracted drivers aren’t just a threat to themselves; they are a danger to everyone else on the road. The national distracted driving effort focuses on ways to change the behavior of drivers through legislation, enforcement, public awareness, and education.
Here are five tips for drivers to avoid distracted driving in Newton, Iowa:
- Put away your phone: Avoid using your phone while driving. Instead, turn it off or put it in a location where you can't access it while driving. If you must use your phone, use a hands-free device.
- Plan ahead: Plan your route, and adjust your GPS or navigation system before you start driving. Make sure any passengers in your car know how to help you with navigation if needed.
- Avoid eating and drinking: Don't eat or drink while driving. If you need a snack or beverage, pull over to a safe location and take a break.
- Secure loose items: Make sure all loose items in your vehicle are secured before you start driving. Loose items can become dangerous projectiles in the event of an accident.
- Stay focused: Keep your focus on the road and avoid distractions such as adjusting the radio, putting on makeup, or multi-tasking. If you need to do any of these things, pull over to a safe location first.
By following these tips, drivers in Newton can help reduce the risk of distracted driving and improve safety on the roads. Remember, it's everyone's responsibility to drive safely and protect ourselves and others on the road.