At the Council Meeting on January 12, the Newton City Council approved the 2015-2017 Action Plan. This plan is designed to guide the direction of City staff priorities from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2017. If adopted, City Council and City Staff will work toward accomplishing four essential purposes:
The City of Newton will provide a safe community by:
• Enforcing the laws that will provide a safe community.
• Providing public safety community education.
• Preparing for and immediately responding to all emergencies.
• Providing a safe transportation network.
The City of Newton will encourage economic development by:
• Creating a strong and vibrant downtown.
• Creating retail growth and development at the Interstate interchanges and commercial corridors.
• Increasing local jobs by growing and recruiting businesses.
• Partnering with other economic development entities.
The City of Newton will foster a high quality of life by:
• Improving neighborhood quality and general curb appeal
• Growing opportunities for community involvement and improving Newton’s reputation.
• Growing the number of new housing units and encouraging improvements to existing residential homes and complexes.
The City of Newton will have effective, efficient, democratic governance by:
• Being good stewards of the City’s financial resources and assets.
• Aligning technological resources to improve services, convenience, and access to information
• Enhancing organizational systems and developing a high quality workforce.