Nextdoor, is a social networking platform for local communities and neighborhoods. Instead of connecting you to users anywhere in the world, Nextdoor narrows your network to those in your surrounding area. According to Nextdoor's website their mission is to "provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world."
Nextdoor was specifically designed to make neighbors feel comfortable sharing information with one another in order to build stronger communities. All members must verify that they live within the neighborhood. Information shared on Nextdoor is password protected and cannot be accessed by those outside the neighborhood or found on Google or other search engines. In addition, Nextdoor never shares personal information with any third parties.
Neighbors on Nextdoor are using the social network to:
- Find a trustworthy babysitter or recommended house painter
- Spread the word about a lost dog
- Organize a neighborhood watch group or quickly get the word out about a break-in
- Share information during a natural disaster
- Receive information from local public agencies (this includes the Newton Police Department and City of Newton)
- Find a new home for an outgrown bicycle
Nextdoor's verification makes it safe to share online the kinds of things you'd be okay sharing with your neighbors in person. Since every neighbor has to verify their address and signs in with a real name; you know these are real people. The privacy allows for private neighborhood conversations that are not indexed in search engines and Nextdoor never shares your personal information with advertisers.
Nextdoor is free, and it’s easy to start using. You can sign up by downloading the app on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store or by visiting www.nextdoor.com.